The Operator came about after the contemporary mythos and has multiple differences in attitude and behavior than Slender Man.
- He does not have any tentacles or tentacle like powers (at least none that we've see)
- He rarely seems to move on camera
- His appearance causes extreme physical debilitation and audio/video destruction of electronics
- He can wipe extensive periods of memory from victims
- He does not seem to have any limitations in movement
- His behavior is a mix of animalistic and sentient, making him highly unpredictable.
- He seems to cause odd behavioral changes in people, such as Alex becoming an aggressive nightmare, Hoody running about trying to kill Alex, and Tim's shifts between Masky and himself.
The Operator is based on Slender Man as one can see from the appearance, however due to its very extreme and different depiction against the classic depiction of Slender Man, The Operator and Slender Man have been influenced by each other, and it may be in part due to The Operator since Slender Man has some of the traits he has been observed with. It has been debated over whether or not this is actually Slender man or another being altogether.
Additionally, since MarbleHornets has never attributed the term "Proxy", entities like Masky and Hoody are hard to define. As well, the MH crew has stated The Operator is a completely separate entity from Slender Man, since the two do not use the same methods or have the same goals.
For a complete account of his actions, see here
The Operator is suspected to have many abilities, including teleportation and electronic interference. These two have the largest amount of evidence. Other presumed abilities include mind control and The Sickness.
While The Operator's actual origin is unknown as of yet, Alex tells Jay of a tale in Entry #38 which may be linked to his existence. Alex says that in an area of what is now Rosswood Park, the flora, particularly the trees, would grow abnormally fast. As punishment, the locals would string up criminals from the trees and let them grow, misshaping the criminals. After the criminals died of dehydration, the locals would burn down the trees, body and all. The practice was suspended when a missing child was found dismembered in the trees.
- The name "The Operator" has thus far never been used in the series (except once on a scribbled sheet drawn by Alex); the name was ascribed to the character in interviews by series creators Troy Wagner and Joseph DeLage.