|FROM AN ARG OR ARE|
This article discusses content originating from the ARG or ARE Tribe Twelve and thus is confirmed to be fictional.
Characters and organizations discussed are portrayed by actors.
The Observer's Appearance in "COMECLOSER"
The Observer, Observer, The Eyes, Black Rook, The Sentinel
The Observer is a proxy that has a great interest for Noah Maxwell. Similar to the Slender Man, the Observer may have the ability to manipulate time and space. The Observer is represented by the Rune of Severance: two eyes intersecting, and communicates with Noah through physical means (cryptic packages and notes) and digital means (black-and-white videos, code, files, etc.). The Observer can be described thus far as a male of average height, looking to be between the ages of 18-24 he is also seen with a maniacal grin. Due to the similarity of appearance, it has been highly suggested that the Observer is an acquaintance of Noah named Kevin, who has been mentioned but never interviewed. This has been heavily evidenced by the striking similarity in appearance, as well as a note received by Noah in Kevin's handwriting which suggested his mind was being controlled. The Observer often uses the pronouns "we" and "us," which was previously considered to mean multiple consciousness in a single body, but is now confirmed to refer to the entire Collective. (During Noah's time in what is called "Stasis", the Observer responded to several Formspring questions by saying he was part of a group called the "Collective").
It is unknown what the Observer's relationship is with Slender Man, though he does refer to him as his "Keeper", judging by the appearance of the Slender Man at the Victor Park Nature Trail and the attack by the Observer. It has been inferred and suggested on several occasions that the Observer considers his activity both his job and a game, and considers Slender Man his superior or administrator.
It has been confirmed that the Observer is actually Noah's friend Kevin, who translated his grandfather Karl's German when Noah interviewed him at his house.The slerdy
- Appears at the end of the tape footage in Box Analysis.
- Phoned Noah during Unknown Caller
- Hacked into Noah's Twitter. He did this on New Year's Day of 2011, changing Noah's bio, avatar, and posting several tweets and a picture.
- Hacked into Noah's Formspring and responded to questions asked by viewers.
- Hacked into Noah's YouTube page and uploaded HELLOTHERE and COMECLOSER.
- Placed files inside Noah's system32 folder on his computer, which were deleted when Noah accessed them on February 19, 2011.
- Attacked Noah at the Victor Park Nature Trail.
- Planted a recording device in Noah's room. Noah found the device, had it analyzed by a friend, and then reported his findings. The device recorded Noah's activities for all of August 1, 2011, and from midnight to 3:15 AM on August 2, 2011. The device also played a message from the Observer (the file of this message was created on March 13, 2011). The message suggests that the Observer had something to do with Milo's suicide.
- Interrupted Noah's Stickam stream on August 28, 2011. The Observer somehow hacked into the stream, played the video INTERRUPTION, and then uploaded the video to Noah's YouTube account. After Noah attempted to call the cops, the Observer left a paper under Noah's door that read "I'M WAITING".
- Hacked into Noah's Twitpic and uploaded an image of a hand sticking out of an eye's pupil, with the date "11-11-11" (Noah's birthday) on its palm.
- During Noah's stay at a hotel for Halloween, the Observer tormented Noah by manipulating time and space to warp Noah to different areas of the hotel and changing day to night. The Observer physically appeared in front of Noah twice, and left a note on Noah's bed that read "HAPPY HALLOWEEN NOAH".
- On November 11th, Noah was lured to the hotel, where he was "taken" by the Observer and put under mind control, despite attempts by Firebrand to save him. The Observer, once again, took over Noah's Twitter and Formspring accounts.
- Hacked into Noah's YouTube and uploaded the HAPPYBIRTHDAY video to Noah's account.
- Hacked into Noah's Twitter during his Valentines Day live stream and posted Twitpics of the members of the Collective, as well as answered some of Noah's questions.
- Appeared behind Noah's chair in Several Months of Hell, first seen with his head popping out, and later near the end of the video wagging his finger to the camera.
- Followed Noah to his meeting with Daniel Shipman in The Manifest.
- Appeared in a video uploaded to YouTube, titled INTERCEPTION, in which, part way through the video, the Observer is interrupted by Firebrand. Contrary to what was previously said about the Observer having no emotions, he reacts quite angrily to this. He even swears at Firebrand, telling him to "shut the fuck up".
- He appears for a split second in Fortunes in few hidden frames. It is possible that the voice heard throughout Fortunes may belong to the Observer rather than the actual journal.
- On August 28, 2015, the Observer appeared once again on Noah's Twitter, announcing that "noahiswithusrightnow", and that "iwillanswersixquestionsonhisbehalf". After answering six questions, each beginning with "where", "what", "who", "why", "when", and "how", all the while leaving hints about Noah's condition and whereabouts, the Observer states: "ihaveanswered nowyoumustwait untilherollsthedie andtakesthebait".
- He hacks Firebrand's transmission in DEATHTRAPEXODUS, taunting Noah about his time with the Collective, and telling him what he needs to do next.
- He follows Noah around his house, watches him sleep and stalks him on the boardwalk in Crawlspace.
- He taunts Noah and pushes him off of the observation tower in Pitfall.
Use of the Rune Edit
The Observer uses the Rune of Severance to control circumstances and accounts in the life of Noah Maxwell. Previously known as the Observer Symbol, the Rune represents 'the cutting of ties' and dates back to, at youngest, the Dark Ages.