Carnival is the 8th Slenderman's Shadow Map. Wandering through an eerie abandoned Carnival, you play as a man looking for his daughter who has been taken by the Slender Man. The objective of Carnival is to collect 8 pieces of evidence, some of which are really hard to see and can be easily overlooked by new players. Carnival was released on Saturday 12th January 2013 at 11PM GMT time for $6.99 along with all other previous maps which have been graphically reworked in the Unity engine (the same engine as Slender: The Eight Pages uses) and the Christmas Special Map.
The map itself is dark, and seems to be big. A roller coaster runs around the outside of the map. Slender Man, for Carnival and all graphically improved maps and the Christmas special map, has been graphically improved as well. He now curls his fingers and rocks back and forth slightly. This map may be the hardest to date for new players taking into account the fact that the pieces of evidence you need to collect are easily missed and sometimes in the dark and the fact that Slender Man can catch you, even if you have collected no pieces of evidence this time. All pieces of evidence are in random locations.
In an interview with DJ Morfar, Marc Steene says that the man you play as is under the mind control of the Slender Man. This explains why he is in an abandoned Carnival late at night. He also goes on to say that they have used all the grid space for this map so it is "the biggest" map. He also confirms that the man's daughter has been taken by the Slender Man.
- As seen in the trailer, this map is going to have the original flashlight from Slender: The Eight Pages.
- One of the earliest trailers to Carnival, which it is written in Russian, depicts Pripyat, a city in Ukraine famous for the incident at Chernobyl.
- This map will have a more realistic look (movement, texture etc.).
- Pages are going to have a new look, resembling drawings.
- This is the first outside (and possibly only) map with rain.
- This is the 3rd Slenderman's Shadow map to be outside.
- According to the trailer, the name of the man's daughter is "Sophia".
- New map Graveyard may come soon (sponsored by AngeloPlaysGames) YouTube channel. (Fix needed?)
- The flashlight can turn off for 5-10 seconds.
- Slender Man can catch you even if you have not collected any evidence.
- There's a glitch where you can stand on Slender Man's head.
- First map that has 2 trailers and the first map that is not being released in the FPS- Creator engine.
- This is one of the 4-5 free single maps available on Slenderman's Shadow website.
- There is a glitch that sometimes when you spawn you fall out the map if you have a bad graphics card.