Carnival is the 8th Slenderman's Shadow Map. Wandering through an eerie abandoned Carnival, you play as a man looking for his daughter who has been taken by the Slender Man. The objective of Carnival is to collect 8 pieces of evidence, some of which are really hard to see and can be easily overlooked by new players. Carnival was released on Saturday 12th January 2013 at 11PM GMT time for $6.99 along with all other previous maps which have been graphically reworked in the Unity engine (the same engine as Slender: The Eight Pages uses) and the Christmas Special Map.
The map itself is dark, and seems to be big. A roller coaster runs around the outside of the map. Slender Man, for Carnival and all graphically improved maps and the Christmas special map, has been graphically improved as well. He now curls his fingers and rocks back and forth slightly. This map may be the hardest to date for new players taking into account the fact that the pieces of evidence you need to collect are easily missed and sometimes in the dark and the fact that Slender Man can catch you, even if you have collected no pieces of evidence this time. All pieces of evidence are in random locations.
In an interview with DJ Morfar, Marc Steene says that the man you play as is under the mind control of the Slender Man. This explains why he is in an abandoned Carnival late at night. He also goes on to say that they have used all the grid space for this map so it is "the biggest" map. He also confirms that the man's daughter has been taken by the Slender Man.
- As seen in the trailer, this map is going to have the original flashlight from Slender: The Eight Pages.
- This is the first map to not have a standalone release.
- This is the first map to not get released before the Slendermans Shadow game.
- This is the first slendermans Shadows map to have the players vision in black and white.
- This is the first map to be created completly in the Unity engine.
- This is the first map to show off a 3D slenderman with animations.
- This is the third map to have randomised item locations.
- One of the earliest trailers to Carnival, which it is written in Russian, depicts Pripyat, a city in Ukraine famous for the incident at Chernobyl.
- This map has a more realistic look (movement, texture etc.). Because of it being part of the Slendermans Shadow game.
- Pages are going to have a new look, resembling drawings.
- This is the second map to have you find different items instead of just a certain number of one item.
- This is the second map to have rain.
- This is the first map to have rain when your character is outside.
- This is the second Slenderman Shadows map to have the static flash when the Slender Man has found you. However, all the remade maps in the Unity Engine of Slenderman's Shadow will have the static flash to warn you when he is behind you.
- This is the forth Slenderman's Shadow map to be outside. Because their are inside areas on this map.
- According to the trailer, the name of the man's daughter is "Sophia".
- This is the second map where the flashlight can turn off and then turn back on after a few seconds. This goes for all the maps that's were remade in the Slenderman Shadows game.
- There's a glitch where you can stand on Slender Man's head.
- This is the first map that has 2 trailers
- This is the first map that was not created in the FPS Creator engine.
- There is a glitch that sometimes when you spawn you fall out the map if you have a bad graphics card.
- This is the fourth map to introduce glowsticks.